Monday, March 28, 2016

Gujarati Kadhi

One never knows what their hit dish is till they get told over and over again to make that dish. This is my hit dish. Gujarati Kadhi! Goes very well with rice or Roti. Growing up my mum made this all the time but I never bothered to learn how to make it until I got married and found out that my husband loves Kadhi. One of my very good friends also thinks that I make the best kadhi and so for those reason I decided to blog it!


Ingredients:

for the kadhi:

  • 1 cup yogurt
  • 2 to 2.5 cups water
  • 2 to 2.5 tbsp gram flour/chickpea flour/besan
  • 1 tbsp total of crushed ginger, green chilies, and garlic paste
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar or jaggery... add more for more sweetness
  • salt to taste
  • coriander leaves for garnish

for the tempering:

  • 1 inch cinnamon stick
  • 2 cloves
  • 1 sprig curry leaves
  • a pinch or two of asafoetida/hing
  • 2 broken red chilies, deseeded
  • ½ tsp cumin seeds
  • ½ tsp mustard seeds
  • ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
  • 1 tbsp ghee/Clarified butter

Method:

  1. Mix the chickpea flour/besan, ginger green chili-garlic paste, yogurt, sugar and salt with the water.
  2. Beat to a smooth mixture.
  3. In a medium sauce pan, fry all the tempering ingredients in the tablespoon of Ghee.
  4. Add the yogurt-water mixture.
  5. Bring to a boil first and then simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
  6. Continue to stir in between to avoid lumps from getting formed.
  7. Garnish kadhi with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice or rotti.

No comments:

Post a Comment